Search Site
Family Law FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions About Oklahoma Family Law

Dedicated guidance from our experienced team in Oklahoma City

Denker & Zuhdi, PLLC is committed to capable and compassionate family law service. Because family law issues touch upon our clients so personally, our Oklahoma City attorneys provide detailed answers to all your questions. After learning about your situation, we will explain how the law applies and will outline  out your options, so you can make a fully informed decision on how proceed. We provide personalized counsel in our office and answer common questions such as:

Contact our skilled and compassionate Oklahoma family law attorneys today

Denker & Zuhdi, PLLC provides personalized family law representation for clients in and around Oklahoma City. To schedule a consultation with one of our experienced and compassionate family law attorneys call 405-946-5533 or contact us online. Our office is conveniently located at 4700 NW 23rd Street, just off I-44.

What is the purpose of an adult adoption?

There are three main reasons to adopt an adult. The first is to ensure an inheritance for someone you love. Adult adoptions can also formalize an existing relationship. If you have put off adopting a foster child because you needed the state support, you can adopt when the child reaches the age of majority. Finally, if an adult is developmentally disabled, adoption can help in establishing instruments to support him or her financially.

What is the residency requirement for divorce in Oklahoma?

To file for divorce in Oklahoma, at least one spouse must have lived in the state for six months or more. The petitioner must file in the court of a county where one of the spouses has resided for 90 days.

Do grounds for divorce such as adultery or cruelty influence the divorce decree?

Generally, marital misconduct does not influence the terms of the divorce unless the misconduct has impacted a party’s ability to pay or has drained the marital estate. For example, if a spouse spent lavishly on a paramour, the court might order a greater share of the marital estate to the innocent spouse. Likewise, someone who squandered family funds on a girlfriend or boyfriend might not be able to escape an alimony obligation by claiming an inability to make payments.

Do grandparents have a right to child custody or visitation in Oklahoma?

In cases where the parents have died or a court has judged them to be unfit, grandparents can petition for child custody. As for visitation, when a child’s nuclear family is not intact, grandparents have a limited right to request visitation over the objection of a custodial parent. The court can grant grandparent visitation if the judge believes that it would be in the best interest of the child and that denying grandparents access would harm the child.

Does Oklahoma require child support throughout college?

Under Oklahoma law, the child support obligation ends when the child turns 18, unless the child is still enrolled in high school or the equivalent. Then, support continues until the child turns 20. Courts cannot order a parent to pay college expenses or child support for a son or daughter in college. However, if the parents made a marital settlement agreement that included college expenses and support, the court will enforce the agreement.

Can a father sue to establish paternity in Oklahoma?

Although most paternity suits are brought by mothers seeking to obtain child support, fathers may sue to establish paternity if they seek the legal right to be part of their child’s life. Once a father establishes paternity, he must pay child support, but may also petition for custody or visitation.

  • "They always provided reliable and thorough work, and consistently provides a quick response. As a solid business partner, the firm handles our legal needs for corporate contracts and real estate acquisitions, but also handles family matters and is invested in my business as more than just another customer. I know that any time I have legal needs, I can rely on the firm to provide efficient, outstanding results." - –David Ross Chairman and CEO TriCorps Security

  • "Our CPA Firm has a long relationship with Denker & Zuhdi. We frequently use the Firm for our legal needs as well as to refer our Clients. We want our Client base to have the best Legal representation possible. The firm has always provided very Professional Services to ourselves and our Clients and we have the utmost confidence in the services provided." - –Hamilton & Associates, CPA Carl Hamilton Anna Hamilton

  • "Having been one of the largest buyers of foreclosures in the state for nearly 30 years, it is the nature of our business to be involved in litigation. We chose Rick Denker as our attorney by using the best method possible. He represented the other side. During this litigation, we saw an intelligent, hard-working man who had common sense. He attempted to resolve the case in the best interest of his client quickly instead of just running up the legal bills. During the past several years that he has represented us, we have been very pleased with his success and would highly recommend him." - –Tana Parks, owner of Ted Parks LLC and Winfield Investments LLC, Tulsa, Ok

  • "“I believe Rick takes a common sense approach to complex issues and looks for the best resolution in a timely fashion. Rick is very approachable and is easily accessible. Rick has been around in Oklahoma City awhile and knows who to talk to and where to go to take care of your legal issues.”" - –Doug Summers President, Paleo, Inc

Contact Us

Quick Contact Form